Solid Waste Complaints

Why does Wahkiakum County have this ordinance?

Residents from around the county wanted it. The County Board of Commissions put the draft ordinance up for an advisory vote by the public and it overwhelmingly passed in November of 2015.

Read the ordinance here

If someone complains about me, will I receive a Notice of Violation?

Maybe. All complaints will be verified first to ensure they are prohibited by this ordinance. If you are found to be out of compliance and the county has exhausted all other avenues and agreements, the county may abate the complaint at the property owners expense. Please see our informational packet.

What does the ordinance apply to?

Essentially, solid waste, junk and/or junk vehicles.

Junk: old appliance(s), equipment, junk vehicle(s), scrap metal, automotive tires, or any other items not being used for their intended purpose.

Solid Waste: Two or more cubic yards of material including, but not limited to, garbage, ashes, industrial wastes, swill, sewage sludge, demolition and construction wastes, junk vehicles, or junk vehicle parts.

Making a compliant

If you wish to make a complaint under our new solid waste or junk ordinance please submit the following form to our department.

Complaint Form

How to respond to a complaint

Upon receiving a notice of violation, contact the County Environmental Health Specialist within 15 days of receiving the notice to secure a Voluntary Abatement Agreement with the county. Please see our informational packet.

Without a Voluntary Abatement Agreement and a continuing violation, the department may issue a “notice of abatement.” This notice will set deadlines by which abatement must occur. Monetary penalties may also be assessed for violations of the ordinance. The penalty for a first violation is $125, second penalty $250, and third penalty $500. Within 15 days of receipt of the notice of abatement, the responsible party has the opportunity to request an appeal hearing with the department director. The director’s decision may be further appealed to the Wahkiakum Board of County Commissioners.

If the violation(s) is not abated, the sheriff’s office will oversee removal of the junk, junk vehicle, and/or solid waste and the cost of removal and disposal will be assessed against the responsible party.


Title: Environmental Public Health
Address: 64 Main St., P.O. Box 696, Cathlamet, WA 98612
Telephone: 360-795-6207
Toll-Free: 1-888-452-0326
Emergency: 360-795-6207
Fax: 360-795-6143
Map: Environmental Public Health
Hours: Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 1:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.